Berkeley activists, renters and smart landlords have made the Berkeley Rent Board Convention (also called the Affordable Housing/Tenant Convention) a unique Berkeley tradition. Every two years, numerous community leaders and tenant activists come together to create a gathering whereby tenants and their allies select the most qualified candidates to represent the progressive agenda as elected Commissioners for the Rent Stabilization Board. For the 2016 election, the four candidates below were nominated by over 300 community members attending the Berkeley Tenant Convention to run for the pro-rent control slate.
We believe the housing is a human right. Collectively, we have a collective over fifty years of experience working on and advocating for policies that promote the financing and creation of housing that all families can afford; tenants’ rights and evictions protections; and a Berkeley Rent Board that works for all. We will:
– Defend and strengthen rent control in Berkeley
– Fairly enforce Berkeley’s Rent Stabilization and Good Cause Evictions Protection Ordinance
– Address seismic safety and habitability challenges with Berkeley’s aging housing stock
– Champion energy and water efficiency initiatives that further Berkeley’s Climate Action Plan goals
– Ensure that the Rent Board provides comprehensive outreach to and quality services for Berkeley’s tenant and property owner population
Join us – Christina Murphy, Alejandro Soto-Vigil, Leah Simon-Weisberg, and Igor Tregub – to ensure that Berkeley promotes the equity, diversity, and inclusion that will truly make this a place that we can ALL call home!